My Work as a Tax Receptionist 


Out of all the jobs I have had in my life, being a receptionist was a position that taught me many essential skills. After leaving my previous job, I learned to respect others with the same job title. Some people believe that being a tax office receptionist is simple and uninteresting. However, it was one of the most memorable jobs I've had. 

A receptionist’s  duties and responsibilities include welcoming guests,maintaining the waiting area and doing other tasks that will help boost efficiency in the workplace. Examples could be making copies, ordering supplies, and answering calls. The main purpose of my job is to take care of clients and assist my coworkers in any way possible. Overall, I try my best to help the business run more smoothly. The job sounds simple but is unique because I deal with new people with special personalities every day. Therefore, I must always be on my best behavior. This job isn't for everyone and requires organization, excellent communication skills, and patience. 

These were the primary responsibilities I had while being a receptionist. 


  • Serving Visitors & Clients  

  • Administrative duties 

  • Aiding tax repairs in any way



Serving Visitors & Clients  


My workplace is in the waiting room, and I am the first person you see when you enter the office. Once a client comes, I make the individual as comfortable and relaxed as they can be. Of course, doing your taxes is not enjoyable, but I want to help make the process easier for the clients. Also, when a client is content, the process is much faster. However, every person is different, and some come into the office irritated or nervous. 


I try my best to serve clients in different ways such as by providing:

  • Refreshers 

  • Food

  • Entertainment. 


My goal is to make the waiting room as comfortable and calm as possible, but that can sometimes be difficult. Sometimes I can't improve a client's mood, and people can be rude to me. There are moments when people can say comments you won't enjoy, and if you weren't in a professional setting, you would respond. So, you have to let certain remarks not upset you and be patient when people are challenging to work with, but you must try to help them as they could be potential customers. 


 However, there are moments when the client isn't rude to me but to others instead. This scenario usually happens with couples, and augment begins between partners in the waiting room. When personal conversations between couples happen in this public setting,  it can make other people uncomfortable. I try my best to put on a popular movie to bring everyone's attention and distract them. If that doesn't work, I find other solutions to keep individuals calm. I do my best to make everyone's experience in my workplace as enjoyable as possible.


Administrative Duties


I complete everyday administrative duties such as 

  • Answering phone calls

  • Making copies

  • Scheduling appointments

  • Handling files


This aspect of my job is the simplest, but it's essential to helping the business run smoothly. Also, I keep the office space clean and presentable at all times. So, if someone spills coffee or a child makes a mess, I am always ready to clean with a broom and mop. I check every corner of the workplace. Overall, my responsibility is to maintain a productive workplace. 

Besides keeping the workplace clean, I like to make the waiting room lively. Also, whenever a holiday comes up, I always put up decorations for that occasion and lift people's spirits despite having to do their taxes.


Aiding coworkers in any way


My coworkers are the other tax repairs in the office, and I have seen how difficult it is to complete taxes. I am not the only individual who deals with clients; they spend the most time with them. Completing your taxes can be long, and I try to find little ways to help others. An example is bringing coffee to tax repairs or ensuring that they have the workspace materials in their areas. Also, I help clients by bringing them tea and a snack. Sometimes people come in with their children to do their taxes, and they are usually all over the place. As a result, the parents become distorted and tired, which makes it hard for tax repairs to do their job. So, I make coloring sheets for children and find ways to entertain them while their parents work on the tax repairs. 


In addition, I find ways to make the worker forget about their job for a small moment. Whenever I see that they have time for a small break, I let them know and entertain any client they have. Doing taxes is stressful and tiring, so I aid them this way as well. Another other way that i can help my coworkers, i try my best to do so.




Comments