My Work as a Tax Receptionist (Final/ Updated)
Being a receptionist was one of the most memorable positions of all my jobs. Most people think of a receptionist as the person behind the computer constantly typing away and making copies. However, I learned to respect others with the same job title, as not many people understand their responsibilities. Some individuals believe that being a tax office receptionist is simple and boring. But it was a job that always kept me on my toes and left me with memories I will never forget.
A receptionist's duties and responsibilities include welcoming guests, maintaining the waiting area, and other tasks that will help the efficiency of the workplace. Examples could be making copies, ordering supplies, and answering calls. The purpose of my job is to take care of clients and assist my coworkers in any way possible. I try my best to help the business run more smoothly. The job sounds simple but can be tricky. The position focuses on customer service, and I deal with people daily. Unfortunately, taxes don't bring out the best in people, and sometimes I get put in uncomfortable situations. This job isn't for everyone and requires organization, communication skills, and patience.
My primary responsibilities while being a receptionist:
- Serving Clients
- Administrative duties
- Aiding tax repairs in any way
Serving Clients.
My workplace is in the waiting room, and I am the first person you see when you enter the office. Once a client comes, I make the individual as comfortable and relaxed as they can be. Of course, no one enjoys doing their taxes, but I want to help make the process easier for the clients. Also, when a client is content, the process is much faster. Yet, every person is different, and some come into the office irritated, nervous or rude.
I try my best to serve clients' small needs, such as by providing the following:
- Drinks.
- Food
- Entertainment.
I aim to make the waiting room enjoyable and a positive experience, but that can be difficult. Sometimes, I can't improve a client's mood, and people can be rude to me. There are moments when people can say comments you won't enjoy, and you have to bite your tongue. For example, once a lady came to her appointment 30 minutes late, and I had to cancel it. I gave her time slot to another customer, and she was unhappy about this. I nicely explained why I canceled it, but she was upset and demanded to speak to a tax repair. I explained that all tax repairs were busy, but she started to throw insults. Some of these comments I heard were that I was horrible at my job and stupid. My job was to be polite and wait until my boss came. But I couldn't respond to her words, even though I felt upset. Thankfully, I saw her trip on the stairs when she left, but it taught me to stay calm and control my emotions. So, I learned to let certain remarks not upset me and be patient.
However, there are moments when the client is rude to others. This scenario usually happens when couples argue in the waiting room. I would sit back and mind my business if this happened outside of work. But this has become an issue in my workplace. Surprisingly, when couples argue in our office, some personal topics arise. For example, a wife accused her husband of lying and cheating in the waiting room. Then, another client sitting in the waiting room commented on their argument. The comment wasn't rude but it led to all three getting into a verbal fight. It was very heated to the point that my boss told them we refused to offer our services. We had to choose this option because they disrupted other clients. So, whenever a similar situation happens, I intervene. I put on a popular movie to bring everyone's attention and distract them. Also, I bring a dessert and try to make small talk with the couple. Other people are just trying to complete their taxes and not make the IRS angry. The last thing they want is to be in an argument with others. If that doesn't work, I find other solutions to keep individuals calm. I do my best to make everyone's experience in my workplace as enjoyable as possible.
Administrative Duties
I complete everyday administrative duties such as
- Answering phone calls
- Making copies
- Scheduling appointments
- Handling files
This aspect of my job is the simplest, but it's essential to helping the business run smoothly. Also, I keep the office space clean and presentable. If someone spills coffee or a child makes a mess, I am ready to clean with a broom and mop. Overall, my responsibility is to maintain a productive workplace. Besides this duty, I like to make the waiting room lively and not feel like a dull, depressing office.
My favorite part of my job was decorating because I could create an energetic workplace. I decorated the waiting room to my liking and it seemed like you walked into wrong place because it didn't seem like a tax office. Also, whenever a holiday comes up, I always decorate for that occasion. It lifts people's spirits, and everyone forgets they are here to do their taxes.
Aiding coworkers in any way
My coworkers are the other tax repairs in the office, and I have seen how difficult it is to complete taxes. They spend the most time with clients and have more experience working with rude people. Completing your taxes can be long, and I find little ways to help others. An example is bringing coffee to tax repairs or cleaning their areas. Also, I give my coworkers a heads-up if I notice a client is in a bad mood. Sometimes people come in with their children, and they are usually all over the place. As a result, the parents become distracted and tired. This scenario makes it hard for tax repairs to do their job. So, I make coloring sheets for children and find ways to entertain them while their parents work with the tax repairs. I try to notice any minor issues they may experience and provide my help.
In addition, I find ways to make the worker forget about their job for a small moment. Whenever I see that they have time for a small break, I let them know and entertain any client they have. Doing taxes is stressful and tiring, so I aid them this way. Any other way that I can help my coworkers, I try my best to do so.
Readability score: 71
Lola,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you went into detail on how your job was so memorable and the things you did either on a day to day basis or as an ongoing theme in your job as this tax receptionist. I liked how you described some of the things you learned instead of the actual actions of your tasks; I think it helped me visalize how a job as a receptionist would really impact you instead of the default thought of assuming it is "simple and uninteresting"
I enjoyed the way you emphasized the interpersonal skills that were developed during this job. I liked that you went beyond the core responsibilities of the job and focused on the personal and professional development that you gained. Your post emphasized that even a more simple job in nature can provide essential experience and skills.
ReplyDeleteI knew reception jobs are tough work but I didn't realize how much could be going on at once. I really liked the way you presented the skills and multiple examples of differing scenarios where you applied them. Rather than just saying the things you do, you walked us through your through process on how you would evaluate and handle certain situations. Really cool.
ReplyDeleteThere is much more to being a receptionist than I had ever thought. I liked when you talked about making clients as comfortable as possible in the waiting room in order for the process to go faster and be more enjoyable. I never thought of how the initial encounter of a customer could affect the whole process!
ReplyDeleteI really didn't know that much about being a receptionist until I read your article. I always knew they did a lot of customer service, which don't get me wrong dealing with people if a very difficult job. But reading about all of the other aspects of the job really puts a light on the hard work they do.
ReplyDelete