Random Post 1 - Leaving college
When I was young, I always wished I was just a little older and life would be more enjoyable. But now that I am older, I wish I could stop time for a moment as life becomes more complex. I am a senior that will be leaving college soon. I am excited to finish school but anxious about the future.
But I understand I am not the only one who feels like this. I have friends with a job waiting for them once they graduate, and others are still trying to figure out what they want to do once they leave USC. One thing they all have in common is that they are scared about what the future will hold for them and what that journey will look like. We don’t know in the next few years if we will have our life together, keeps all our friends, and have our dream job.
Recently I have been listening to some of my favorite albums to get me through the midterm season. A song that I have been playing a lot is “20 something” by SZA. If you have not heard it, the song is about her struggles about being in her 20’s and wishing luck to everyone. The music makes me feel better about my dilemma, as this is a common thought in people's minds. But, maybe that's a part of growing up; you just have ride the roller coaster and be prepared for what life throws at you while appreciating the present for what it is.
Up until I turned 21, I wanted life to speed up. Now, I want it to slow down. Leaving college is super exciting but super scary. After it's over, it's like life stops holding your hand. Up until age 22, life has sort of been preplanned. Now that school is coming to a close, I totally agree with you, life is going to be crazy different. What gives me confidence is that a lot of people have been able to find their way with a lot less prep and guidance, so as long as we make responsible decisions we should all be alright. Congratulations on beating the American education system!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you and Arman, as a senior as the days are coming to an end I am less and less excited for life to move on. I am realizing now how much I really do love my schedule and friends in college. I am excited to be completely independent but at the same time it is very intimidating. Overall, I am excited for what the future holds aswell.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree, everything is moving by so fast. I don't feel ready to be an adult. It doesn't help that I had freshmen year completely on zoom and I didn't come to usc until sophomore year. Plus, I am graduating a semester early. All in all I missed out on about half of my college experience and the last bit of my high school experience. It is what it is, but it still sucks. Glad to know I am not the only one that is sad about college ending.
ReplyDeleteLola I can relate to your post and feelings so much. I was talking to my friends recently about how I was nervous about moving and stating a new life in my career, where I would make new friends, and how I would manage everything. I think its important to take one step at a time and realize that we still aren't done with college and to enjoy every moment before its over. I also am a religious listener to SZA and that song is super special to me too, she articulates everything she goes through in her 20's and I think it brings me comfort that she felt the same feelings too.
ReplyDeleteI relate to this so much. It seems like time just flies by these days and I don't know how I am getting to the end of college already. It is scary, but also exciting. I am just trying to take it day by day.
ReplyDeleteI feel the exact same way. I remember coming to USC and everyone warning that it would come to an end very quickly and that I have to make the most out of it. Now, I'm here in my last semester, having the best time, with great people, feeling like it's going to be even harder now. I am always excited for the next step, but it is sad to move on from people you have such strong connections with. Good luck to us all.
ReplyDeleteLola, this post is really relatable. Though I am a junior and have another year at USC, I too fear the post-grad life and question what adjusting to a new lifestyle will look like. I plan to go back home to Chicago after graduation, so I struggle with the idea of saying goodbye to all my friends who will remain in LA. I'm hoping that social media / texting / FaceTime will help a lot!
ReplyDelete